[asterisk-users] whisper time remaining

Victor Alvarez victor at sentidocomun.es
Tue Oct 28 03:52:55 CDT 2008

Morning! Thank you very much for the answers. These are my considerations:

 >If it's a pre-paid app and you're doing a Dial command (like a calling
card), why not use the limit (L) feature that's built in?

Because limit the time before the call starts does not cover all the
possible cases of use of a prepaid application, like a situation in
which the user is consuming credit in more than one way. And also
because whisper i.e 'you have one minute remaining' is a useful
information for the user and a very common requirement for these
applications.

>  If you know the channel that you need to ‘whisper to’, You could
always create a call via the manager to the whisper application and
bridge it to PlayBack of a gsm file that will be played or send it to a
context that will announce the time left. Then drop off….

I know the channel that I need to whisper to. This idea sounds certainly
more close to what I had in mind, I will need to translate it into code.

 > From a technology standpoint, if I'm not mistaken, this would require
some sort of conferencing because it is mixing two digital audio
streams. Call it what you like, but it has to have extra resources.

It depends on how you bridge the channels. It is clear is that, from a
programmer point of view, I would have preferred to call it it an
Asterisk Manager command :-)

Kind Regards,
Victor