[asterisk-users] KEY SYSTEM, Intercom

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Oct 27 08:14:12 CDT 2008

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Alex Balashov wrote:

> Polycom 501 and beyond.

Grandstream 2000 and beyond.

Although I think it's pointless just stating a phone type - this doesn't
actually answer the posters questions..

> hbk wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am still dreaming of replacing our now 16 year old Panasonic with *!
>> I have played with * for many years but are uncertain how to get
>> "Panasonic" functions like:
>>
>> KEY system buttons/LED or LCD soft keys indicating outside line usage.

This I don't know about - Just how do you monitor a Zap line from a VoIP
phone, and arrange it so that pushing a button on the phone connects you
to that line...

Personally, I'd re-educate the users - they now have a PBX and not a
Key-Line system.  Old habits die hard though...

>> Intercom function that allows one way talking true speaker on all phones
>> in a group.

See the Page() application.

>> Intercom function that allows two way direct speaker phone conversation
>> from approved phones without receiver having to touch his phone.

Page again - the "trick" is to get the phone to (a) auto-answer when a
magic command ise sent to it (or if it's a muli-account phone assange one
account to auto-answer in speaker phone mode), and (b) hangup the call
when the remote end hangs up.

The Page() function has 2 modes - one speaker, 1 or many listeners (one
way talking) and complete full-duplex (2-way intercom mode, but you really
only want to do this between 2 phones!)

>> Any suggestion on Phone and how to implement?

I know that Grandstreams and Snoms support the Page() function - presumbly
the Polycoms and most others do too, but I'd really think about the
re-education step to move from a Key-Line to PBX system...

Gordon