[asterisk-users] Sonicwall potentially causing long ping times to SIP phones

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 01:02:05 CDT 2008

2008/10/23 Kristian Kielhofner <kkielhofner at star2star.com>

> Most of the "anything but simple PAT" devices I've seen that implement
> any SIP specific fixups usually end up breaking something along the
> line.  Unless the product is from a company where SIP is their core
> competency (like Ingate, or /maybe/ Cisco) it's best to stay away
> and/or disable the SIP specific fixups wherever possible.

CISCO PIX's SIP "fixup" stuff breaks authentication from a SIP device if the
SIP device is using an IP address for the proxy and not a DNS name.

This is because the PIX rewrites the proxy's IP address where-ever it is
seen.  And that includes inside the authentication challenge line.  (The PIX
appears to do a literal search-and-replace in the SIP headers). Which means
the authentication fails.

We hit this twice with customers.  Unfortunately long enough apart that I
had to debug it all over again because I forgot about it...

The workaround is to use a DNS name to address the proxy.

So its definitely not just Sonicwall.

Steve