[asterisk-users] Sporadic One Way Audio

Christian Stredicke Christian.Stredicke at snom.de
Fri Oct 24 19:35:10 CDT 2008

We have seen cases where an IP address conflict caused something like this.

You can take Wireshark traces on the PC (possibly run them in a loop so that you have a pretty long context) and if you have one-way audio be quick to log on to the web interface of the phone and also take a wireshark (PCAP) trace.

There are a couple of tools available that may help to track such problems down: http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/vqmanager, http://palladion.net, www.networkinstruments.de, and www.voipfuture.com. I know some of them offer a 14-days demo, and it tremendeously helped on of our clients to fix network problems. You can also use SNMP tools to poll if the phone has any blackouts regaring network availbility (see http://wiki.snom.com/SNMP).

Also the phone sends a statistics at the end of each call. Check the BYE message, there is a counter of received and transmitted packets. Those numbers should be roughtly the same.

CS