[asterisk-users] OT: Disable Polycom 650 Forward Softkey

Bill Andersen andersen at mwdental.com
Fri Oct 24 16:22:25 CDT 2008

John Todd wrote:

> Instead of disabling the keys on the phone, why not just put logic in
> your dialplan that refuses calls to the paging extension except when
> the originator is a handset?   If the call != handset originated, then
> send to the voicemail of the handset that bounced the call.  You could
> possibly do this based on caller ID.  This keeps the functionality of
> the "forward" and "page" keys, without leading to the unusual
> circumstances you describe.
>
> (and it's good practice to figure out what happens in bogus loop
> events, anyway - what if someone forwards their handset back to the
> main number?  Or to a number that doesn't exist?  It should _probaby_
> then go to the voicemail box of the forwarding extension or user.)

I might look into doing that for all other extensions, but for the
receptionist phone, we will never want to set a "fixed forward" using
the Polycom Forward softkey.  I have logic in my dialplan that routes
calls should the receiptionist not get to the call in time or the
phone is rebooting for whatever reason.  Removing the softkey was the
quickest way to remedy the problem.  All other phones in the building
can still use the forward function.

Bill