[asterisk-users] Emerging dilema? DID forwarding meets SMS

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Fri Oct 24 16:20:02 CDT 2008

On Oct 24, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Drew Gibson wrote:
>
>> Gordon Henderson wrote:

>>> Er, they don't dissapear for me. I send a TXT to a landline, the
>>> phone
>>> rings and there is a text to speech robot which reads it out to
>>> you, or,
>>
>>> Don't you have that facility?
>>>
>>> Maybe it depends on country and telco.
>>
>> Err, Gordon, you must be in a country from the 21st century.
>
> The UK, and while BT do have their faults, they do have some handy
> features...
>
>> North America is just beginning to emerge from the mobile Stone Age.
>> Some people have heard of text messaging but most think you have to
>> pay
>> Blackberry to send emails.
>
> I'm sorry. Keep banging the rocks together guys...
>
> Last time I visited I was frustrated by the lack of TXTability - too
> many
> standards, too many carriers not giving you the full service... The
> weird
> thing is that if you have a more or less universal TXTing coverage it
> would literally take off overnight. It did in the UK when the 4 main
> operators got together and let TXTs pass between then. I think the
> latest
> stats are something stupid like over a billion TXTs a week in the UK
> now...
>
> http://uk.gizmodo.com/2007/11/06/one_billion_text_messages_sent.html
>
> However, I've just tried with my VoIP carrier and they just vanish.
> Might
> drop them an email and ask about it...
>
>> I ran into the issues Karl mentions when trying to txt our ISP
>> contact
>> during our office move.
>> Can anyone clarify how SMS to non-mobile numbers are generally
>> handled
>> in North America?
>> Is it possible to have SMS delivered direct to your landline DIDs?
>> Then
>> have Asterisk relay it to the actual mobile DID.
>
> If not, there's got to be a "killer app" in there somewhere if you can
> figure out a revenue generation mechanism...
>
> Gordon

You're right, there is revenue there.  That's why carriers haven't
done it yet - the FUD keeps them from offering the product.  Here in
North America, we are lucky to even have the two stones to bang
together to make calls.  Everyone is in love with short codes, which
really kind of suck for low-cost, low-friction messaging since not
every one of your users can have a short code for inbound messages.
But the revenue is there for shortcodes, and mobile carriers are
terrified that SMS-enabling ordinary E.164 numbers will take away
their death-grip on the mobile messaging market.  I'm of the opinion
that there is some sort of collusion happening, but I'm so far away
from that these days it doesn't bother me other than to laugh at how
backwards our mobile carrier market is here.

So when I _did_ care about these things, I spent some time researching
it.  After a lot of painful phone calls asking obvious questions of
carriers ("You want WHAT?! IMPOSSIBLE!") the only thing I found was
this: Level 3 offers SIP-delivered numbers (origination and
termination) which can be SMS-enabled.  The SMS-enabling requires a
separate deal with a company called "Syniverse".  But once you get
both of those deals in place, you could send/receive messages to
numbers which were delivered to you via VoIP trunks.  The SMS delivery
had various different protocols options over which it could be
delivered/accepted from your location.

This was 1.5 years ago that I did the research on this, so perhaps
vendors other than Level 3 are offering this now in the United
States.  I hope so.  But it was new, cutting-edge crazy stuff back
then, despite being COMPLETELY OBVIOUS that the market needs something
like this, and that every ITSP would offer it immediately.  As far as
SMS-enabling existing E.164 addresses that you might have - good
luck.  If someone knows of a way, let me know since I figure it'll be
a cold day in hell before my carrier(s) would offer that service
capability.

Asterisk isn't the greatest platform yet for accepting text messages,
and it's only marginally good at sending them on some types of digital
circuits.  SIP SIMPLE or SMPP are really the primary protocols for
this type of transmission, and Asterisk doesn't have either yet.  It's
a chicken-and-egg thing, I think - as soon as better SMS transmit/
receive is possible, better text message handling will appear in
Asterisk (your code is welcome!)

Lastly: there is some activity towards SMS support in some unusual
configurations from the OpenBTS guys who are building interesting base
station stuff.  If you have an interest in getting Asterisk to
function as a GSM base station (with radio!) then check it out.