[asterisk-users] Emerging dilema? DID forwarding meets SMS

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Fri Oct 24 09:09:27 CDT 2008

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Karl Fife wrote:
>
>> We have a number of DID's that do the standard VoIP tricks: ringing
>> multiple locations, findme-followme etc.  What is happening more and
>> more is that customers call those DID numbers, and draw the reasonable
>> conclusion that they are calling mobile numbers because they literally
>> can HEAR that the called party is on a mobile.  Consequently many of
>> those customers draw the conclusion that they can safely send SMS's to
>> those DID numbers.  Naturally the SMS messages disappear into the ether.
>>

> Er, they don't dissapear for me. I send a TXT to a landline, the phone
> rings and there is a text to speech robot which reads it out to you, or,
>

> Don't you have that facility?
>
> Maybe it depends on country and telco.

Err, Gordon, you must be in a country from the 21st century.

North America is just beginning to emerge from the mobile Stone Age.
Some people have heard of text messaging but most think you have to pay
Blackberry to send emails.

I ran into the issues Karl mentions when trying to txt our ISP contact
during our office move.
Can anyone clarify how SMS to non-mobile numbers are generally handled
in North America?
Is it possible to have SMS delivered direct to your landline DIDs? Then
have Asterisk relay it to the actual mobile DID.

regards,

Drew

--
Drew Gibson