[asterisk-users] How to add contexts in asterisk realtime?

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Fri Oct 24 00:35:32 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 14:56 -0500, Terry Wilson wrote:
> >> hi
> >> for any context ,you must to open /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf and
> >> insert this line : exten =>Realtime/yourcontext at DBtable
> >> and (reload) or (restart now) your asterisk
> >>
> > You don't have to restart asterisk, just a 'dialplan reload' will
> > suffice.  So really there is no impact to a running system.
>
> You've obviously never tried doing that on a system with 50,000+
> extensions and having to reload every time a new customer signs up via
> an online web interface...

Well, if you have 50K extensions, you'll find the trunk/1.6.x versions
a bit easier to bear in this respect; I've redone the reload process
so that it takes longer, but the magic is that it locks the dialplan
and swaps in the new dialplan in about 4-10 microseconds. So, no matter
the size of the dialplan, literally no interruption to running code
takes place... But you'll find that you can only do so many restarts
per unit time...

That said, I'd still advise using a db if large numbers of non-pattern
numbers are what's in the extensions... I've not done benchmarks on
speed, but it could be, that if you use the fast pattern matcher, that
the dialplan lookups could be faster than db lookups. If anybody's
done any comparisons, let me know...

murf