[asterisk-users] Emerging dilema? DID forwarding meets SMS

Karl Fife asterisk-users at kfife.mailworks.org
Thu Oct 23 20:31:40 CDT 2008

We have a number of DID's that do the standard VoIP tricks: ringing
multiple locations, findme-followme etc.  What is happening more and
more is that customers call those DID numbers, and draw the reasonable
conclusion that they are calling mobile numbers because they literally
can HEAR that the called party is on a mobile.  Consequently many of
those customers draw the conclusion that they can safely send SMS's to
those DID numbers.  Naturally the SMS messages disappear into the ether.
It occurrs to me that relaying SMS messages following dialplan logic may
become an increasingly common objective.

I say the SMS messages 'naturally' disappear but maybe I'm just ignorant
to this topic because it has not been important to us in the past.

Currently we routinely SEND SMS's from Asterisk triggered by other
dialplan events.  So far we've never needed to RELAY from one DID to
another.  Are terrestrial carriers even presented with SMS messages? Is
anyone using Asterisk to relay SMS messages?

-Karl