[asterisk-users] fax / t38 gateway

Brendan Martens brendan.martens at crosscomm.net
Thu Oct 23 12:55:24 CDT 2008

Indeed I am going for pure voip and trying to figure out how to
implement t.38, as you suggest.

On Oct 23, 2008, at 2:08 AM, Olivier wrote:

> I think Brendan is asking about endpoints (how to connect fax
> machines to pure VoIP).
>
> Short answer:
> - you could connect standalone T.38-enabled analog gateways to 1.4,

Like what? I'm not familiar with this tech, I googled around a bit but
didn't come up with much. I think I just don't know the lingo yet. :
( Could you point out one of these?

> - with 1.6, you can also use an analog board inside a server and
> connect fax machines to this board.

So basically what you're saying is that to do this (convert the analog
to t.38) myself I would still need to have analog coming into my
asterisk server (which makes sense, but doesn't help me avoid paying
for "normal" phone lines)... Sounds to me like in this situation t.38
would be purely for getting faxes around on my own asterisk(s) if that
became necessary.

Which leads me to my other question again, is there some sort of
internet service that will do the analog to t.38 conversion for me and
then pass the t.38 on to my asterisk server?