[asterisk-users] Sonicwall potentially causing long ping times to SIP phones

James Lamanna jlamanna at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 12:28:56 CDT 2008

Bill Michaelson wrote:

> Sorry for asking the obvious question, but are there other elements of
> the slow path besides the Sonicwall? I mean, what is "in front" of the
> Sonicwall? Also, might the Sonicwall be positioned as some kind of choke
> point in the topology, thus leading to genuine sporadic congestion?

The device in front of the SonicWall is a Cisco Router.
Ping times to the ethernet interface of the router are good (~10ms).
Also, having a user behind the SonicWall ping the PBX results in an
average 20-30ms ping time.
So it seems as though the lag is specific to SIP signaling
(specifically the OPTIONS requests that asterisk qualify sends out).

Unfortunately I can't really ask the client to dump their SonicWall
(which we do not manage).
On the SonicWall, I know it is configured for "Consistent NAT" and
"SIP Transformations" are disabled.

-- James