[asterisk-users] Sonicwall potentially causing long ping times to SIP phones

Bruce Komito brucek at bagel.com
Thu Oct 23 12:09:18 CDT 2008

We've had LOTS of problems with Sonicwalls doing bad things to SIP and RTP
connections.  I've seen the delay thing, as well as the Sonicwall throwing
away entries from the ARP table because of inactivity.  I've also seen
sporadic, intermittent problems with transfer from one phone to another.
I have no doubt that a new, properly configured Sonicwall can be made to
function properly in a VoIP environment, but we are not Sonicwall experts,
nor are many of the purported experts.  In every case where we've had
problems with VoIP behind a Sonicwall, the problems ALL disappear when we
put the phones on a LAN segment that does not pass through the Sonicwall.
So, now that's our going in position.  If it works, great, but if it
doesn't, our solution is to take the Sonicwall out of the picture.

My $.02 .

Bruce Komito
WPTI Telecom
(775) 236-5815