[asterisk-users] Latency woes, qos the fix?

Stephen Reese rsreese at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 01:10:37 CDT 2008

> Does the latency remain more or less the same regardless of the
> bandwidth load on the pipe?
>
> If so, TOS bits (what you refer to as QoS) won't help you.  You've
> either got network issues (very likely if you have an intra-network ping
> of 30 ms) or the outside host you're sending the traffic to is just that
> far away in latency terms.

Interesting. Just to clarify, the computer I'm pinging from is on the
same switch as the phone so I don't see how there could be so much
variance since the remote Asterisk server is on a very fast pipe. I've
seen several people post that they have well under 100ms response.

Is the time that the Asterisk displays just a ping to the device or
are there more calculations? Any ideas besides TOS since that will not
help much as you mentioned?

Thanks