[asterisk-users] SER + Asterisk

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sat Oct 18 16:50:13 CDT 2008

Steve Totaro wrote:

> Kind of like SwitchVox, FreePBX, Thirdlane......

I don't know that I'd make that comparison.

I would say that in general, OpenSER is more low-level and amorphous and
multipurpose than Asterisk or any GUI that wraps it.

Asterisk has many applications and uses and niches, but these are all
uses that capitalise on the "sort of thing" that Asterisk is.  The genus
of thing that it is on a technical level and the role it plays is fairly
well-understood, even if there are many things you can do with that
particular type of thing.

OpenSER is hard to pin down like that.  The closest you can come to it
is to say that it is a proxy/UAS, and what does that really get you?
It's used in situations that offer far less taxonomic resemblance to
each other than sundry appropriations of Asterisk do.

Yes, there's no argument that there are many things OpenSER does that
can be driven by a GUI.  But at the same time, that approach is somewhat
antithetical to its basic nature.  Its roles cannot be usefully
anticipated nearly as well or as much.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems