[asterisk-users] anoyingly answers already in use pstn line

Gleim, Jason jgleim at atsautomation.com
Fri Oct 17 16:04:32 CDT 2008

Others may wish to chime in and confirm or deny this but the card is
probably getting confused by you loading the line with the other phones.
I know most of the analog cards I've worked with (which does not include
the X101P) really get cranky if there is anything else hanging off that
line. The only solution I've seen to the problem is to change things
around so that the card is the only thing on the line.

In know you said you haven't switched to IP or FXS but is there a reason
why? Your problem would go away and you would be able to leverage all
the features of Asterisk if you just got a single ATA. Something like a
Linksys PAP2T-NA can be had for around $55 USD. Disconnect your PSTN
line at the entrance bridge, run it into the X101P, and plug the PAP2T
into the house. It is convenient and doesn't require any changes in
internal wiring. (You might have to run a few wires if the bridge is on
the back of your house.) No need for new phones or anything. Granted,
all the internal phones would be on one extension but you have that
situation now... And with the ATA you've solved your problem. As the
need arises, get more ATAs or IP phones or whatever and build out your
internal phone network.

Jason