[asterisk-users] [Asterisk-users] +heartbeat

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Fri Oct 17 12:00:37 CDT 2008

>My guess is that if you had two NICs on the same subnet with
>different IPs the kernel route table and ARP cache would get pretty
>confused.  This seems so incredibly broken to me I've never tried....

That was my guess and point to begin with.  I was not aware of or thinking about bonding.  Without something out of the ordinary in the protocol stack, there is no way to determine which NIC the OS will use for a given destination IP, since either can get there.  That is why the hi-rel stuff I do has two parallel LANS with different subnets.  It places more of the burden on the program to know how to do backup, but I control the code in the projects I'm doing, so its not a problem.

Wilton