[asterisk-users] DAHDI and wait 'w'

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Thu Oct 16 14:24:53 CDT 2008

Jerry Geis wrote:
>     -- Attempting call on DAHDI/1wwwwww for
> smvoice_callprogress at smvoice-dialout:1 (Retry 1)
> [Oct 16 14:36:42] WARNING[16408]: chan_dahdi.c:8132 dahdi_request:
> Unknown option 'w' in '1wwwwww'
> [Oct 16 14:36:43] WARNING[16408]: chan_dahdi.c:1481 dahdi_enable_ec:
> Unable to enable echo cancellation on channel 1 (No such device)
>
> Does DAHDI not know about the W ??? I think zaptel used to.
>
> I am trying to come off hook on port 1 of my card and wait 3 seconds
> before my AGI runs.
>
> Is there something new for DAHDI instead of "w"?
>
> Jerry

I suppose it is expecting too much to listen for dial tone before
dialing, rather than doing a blind dial?
Dumb modems have been able to detect dial tone before dialing for many a
year, but the "w" cludge seems the only way to CYA when a PSTN switch is
slow to return dial tone.
This shortcoming has been built in  ( or not ) for many a  year, and no
one who has the skills ( I certainly don't )  is interested enough to
correct it.

Analog PSTN interfaces will be around for a long time. It deserves some
attention.

John Novack

--
Dog is my co-pilot