[asterisk-users] is there a way

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Tue Oct 14 10:18:01 CDT 2008

Steve Totaro wrote:

> My only wish is that Linux had a facility like XP to bridge NICs
> without running all sorts of commands for brctl.  Just a GUI like XP.
> Last time I setup a bridge in Linux, I had to change many kernel
> options and rebuild the entire kernel to get bridging working
> properly.  With XP, you just select the NICS, right click and select
> add to bridge.

I've always seen this as (YA) flaw in Windows. Bridging seems to be the
lazy man's way of avoiding configuring Windows networking properly
(admittedly, this is not a simple task), especially with OpenVPN.
Bridging should be left to switches, they're the professionals!

> For linux, I find that running firestarter, ICS/Firewall is fine, my
> end game is to get all of my traffic to go over an OpenVPN tunnel at
> my colo which is the default gateway over OpenVPN.  Windows seems to
> have the easiest method of getting this done.

OpenVPN has an option to do just this, "redirect-gateway", that will
push (almost) all the traffic out through the tunnel. Works the same
with any supported OS

regards,

Drew

--