[asterisk-users] Asterisk voicemail

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Tue Oct 14 05:53:28 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Chris Rowson
<christopherrowson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm working on a solution using the Asterisk voicemail component and
>> wondered if anyone knew the answer to this question please?
>>
>> I understand that Asterisk saves voicemail to
>> /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/<context>/<mailbox>/INBOX/  but I
>> wondered if * creates the file in memory (or tmp/or wherever) and then
>> loads the completed file into that directory, or if it writes the file
>> to the directory directly, appending it till the recording is
>> finished?
>
> Sorry to reply to my own post! I notice a tmp directory at
> /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/<context>/<mailbox>/tmp/ I'm wondering
> if this is where the file is created, and then moved to the INBOX
> folder perhaps?

I'm not sure about voicemails, perhaps they have temporary storage in
/tmp/, however there's more general option for asterisk. See "man
asterisk", there's command -t which could be passed at asterisk
startup, then asterisk will write all files in /var/spool/asterisk/tmp
(allocating empty filename before), and after recording finishes it
will move them to correct location.

Regards,
Atis

--