[asterisk-users] setup for fax machine

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Oct 13 12:51:48 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Gordon Henderson <
gordon+asterisk at drogon.net <gordon%2Basterisk at drogon.net>> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Anthony Messina wrote:

> >> You need to Answer() the call first, then insert a Wait(2). During that
> >> time, asterisk will be listning for fax tone and jump to the fax
> extension
> >> if it hears them.
> >>
> >> So:
> >>
> >> exten => s,1,Answer()
> >> exten => s,n,Wait(2)
> >>    Ringing()
> >>    Dial(DAHDI/2)
> >>    Hangup()
> >>
> >> and
> >>
> >> exten => fax,1,Dial(DHADI/1)
> >> exten => fax,n,Hangup()
> >
> > would you also be able to detect fax tones during the Backgound app?
>
> I'm really not sure - I think you might have to try it!
>
> Gordon

The best way to do this is have a dedicated  fax line, do not use fax
detect, and route any calls to that zap/dahdi port to where you have the
dedicated fax or just keep the fax out of Asterisk entirely.

I am used to large scale fax setup, so I am more familiar with DIDs assigned
to FAX and then use IAXmodem to Hylafax.  Sounds like bigtime overkill for
your use.

You could look at www.trustfax.com (no affiliation but a happy customer),
better service than www.efax.com as far as I am concerned and better
pricing.  My faxing requirements are very low though.

Most customers that insist of dual use POTS lines invariably complain about
the "delay", which I have to explain, especially if they have caller ID too.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro