[asterisk-users] Question about echo cancelation

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Sun Oct 12 04:15:02 CDT 2008

2008/10/11 Eric ManxPower Wieling <eric at fnords.org>

> Handsets use a 4-wire connection.  Handsets with the the volume turned
> up could cause a form of echo as the microphone picks up the ear piece
> audio (I call this acoustic echo).  Everything I said applies to 2-wire
> caused echo.  Other types of echo is fairly uncommon and cannot be
> solved by normal echo canceling systems.
>
> Most echo canceling systems I've seen (mostly tellabs) only cancel echo
> in one direction.

Which one ?
Using previous example, I would say they cancel Bob's voice echo ...
Said differently, echo canceller would filters out from outgoing audio
signals matching signals previously heard in incoming audio (Bob's voice).

 I suspect all of Digium's EC systems only do echo
> canceling in one direction as well.

Is anyone aware of EC systems working in both directions ?

Consequence of having one direction EC, how can you help Alice if Bob is
local (ie Alice's media gateway and Bob's analog phone, for instance, are
connected to the same public switch) ?
In this case, you can't rely on any public EC system ?
As the one in your gateway is one-way (it seems to be the standard), the
only thing you can play with is to play with volume ... or is ther something
I'm missing ?