[asterisk-users] SIP problems?

Kristian Kielhofner kkielhofner at star2star.com
Thu Oct 9 16:09:17 CDT 2008

Hello everyone,

  Since I've been working with SIP more and more I've discovered there
are still plenty of interop and configuration issues between various
pieces of equipment in the real world.

  I enjoy helping with SIP issues in this forum and others but I
thought it would make more sense to aggregate this information in a
central location.  For instance, earlier today a user had a problem
between his Cisco AS5300 and Asterisk 1.2.  The solution was fairly
technical and not very obvious.  I was more than willing to help here
but then I thought, wait - what if someone on a Cisco list somewhere
has a similar problem?  What if I'm not there to read his post and
reply?  What if he can't find it in the Asterisk archives for some
reason?  What if he/she never gets the issue worked out?

  Today I plunked down the $9 for submityoursip.com.  My goal is to
(eventually) have a site where interop details and implementation
quirks between various SIP platforms can be easily searched,
discussed, etc.

  Trying to work with OCS and Asterisk?  Need a pointer to a TCP/UDP
SIP proxy?  Can't figure out how to get your
Polycom/Asterisk/Cisco/Snom/Sonus equipment to agree on a codec,
method of caller id, or DTMF mode?  This wiki should help.

  I'll be adding some more details, fixing up syntax, etc in the next
couple of days but for now I thought I'd get the announcement out to
see if anyone would like to help:

- Wiki formatting.  I don't know anything about MediaWiki.  Headings,
tables, organization, etc.  Help!
- SIP devices.  Manufacturers, service provider offerings, devices,
etc.  I've started to make lists to (mostly) empty pages, but this
part will never be done!
- Debugs/SIP traces.  Have a strange interop issue?  Post the SIP and
we'll (at least I will) take a look at it.  Maybe we can figure it out
for you and add it to the wiki for everyone.

  One thing I don't want to do is duplicate effort elsewhere,
copy/paste from other sites, etc.  If you can link to an external
resource, please do!

  In case you missed it before the address is
http://www.submityoursip.com and it's free (of course) and you can
sign up for an account if you feel like helping me out... :)

  Thoughts?  Tips?

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://blog.krisk.org