[asterisk-users] Hang up detection with TDM400P and Telewest/Virgin Media line

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Oct 9 11:12:06 CDT 2008

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, Mike wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've seen a few reports that people have had problems with hang up
> detection on UK cable phone lines.  I have a TDM400P with two FXO ports,
> one connected to my BT line and the other connected to my
> Telewest/Virgin Media cable line.  If I ring the BT line and then clear
> down, Asterisk detects this and acts accordingly.  If I ring the
> Telewest line, the clear down is not detected, hence Asterisk continues
> to ring extentions, record voicemail, etc.
>
> I've seen a few posts reporting this issue with the UK cable system but
> these are generally not resolved.
>
> Has anyone sucessfully configured a UK Telewest line with Astersik?
> Does anyone know how Telewest signals that the remote caller has cleared
> down?

I did an instalaltion yesterday with 2 Teleworst lines.

When I was calling in on my mobile, then hanging up, it seemed to work ok
- it did keep the line open for a few seconds, but I see that with BT too.

> On the same topic, how does BT signal remote clear down?

Dunno...

> I have plugged a phone into the Telewest line and it doesn't appear to
> receive a tone on clear down, nor does it appear to drop power on the
> line.  Just in case, I changed the DCT in zaptel.h from 500ms to 100ms and
> recompiled, however, this did not resolve the issue.

I'm using asterisk 1.2.30, Zaptel 1.2.24. Oslec and an OpenVox card.

> I'm working blind at the moment as I cannot find anything which
> documents what to expect the Telewest line to do to signal a remote
> clear down occured.  I've played around with the kewlstart and
> loop-start setting but without knowing what the line is going to do,
> it's difficult to know how to configure Asterisk.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of Telewest?

Only 2 sites and they both seem to work OK - One in Bristol the other in
Plymouth.

Can't get caller ID to work though )-:

Zaptel.conf:

fxsks=3