[asterisk-users] Help with IAX Trunking

Steve Anness steve.anness at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 14:07:54 CDT 2008

I am very confused on IAX Trunking.  I mean I understand what is does but I
am confused on how to make it work right with my Asterisk server and what
all I need to add to make it work like it should.  Basically we have two
servers and want to call between the two.  I have configured the iax.conf
files for what  I think is right and added lines in both extension.conf
files.

Here is what I have done so far:

On our local server (iax.conf)

[general]
bindport = 4569
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
allow=gsm
mailboxdetail=yes

[ast003] << ast003 is the hostname of the remote server
type=friend
username=ast003 << using the login name of the server, but maybe I am
confused about what username to use.  Do I make a special SIP account for
this?
secret= << I was using the password that went with the user account to log
on to the server, but I guess that probably isn¹t correct
auth=plaintext
host=72.249.129.91
context=vvfarm-extensions << the context on the local machine for the
extensions
peercontext=remote-extensions << the context on the remote server
qualify=yes
trunk=yes

Extensions.conf
exten => _17XXX,1,Dial(iax2/ast003/${EXTEN}-1,20) << I don¹t even know if
that line is right.  My goal is to dial 17121 or 17119 and have the phone
dial 17121-1 or 17119-1.

On the remote server:

[general]
bindport = 4569
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
allow=gsm
mailboxdetail=yes

[asterisk]
type=friend
username=asterisk
secret=
auth=plaintext
host=64.194.211.170
context=remote-extensions
peercontext= vvfarm-extensions
qualify=yes
trunk=yes

Extensions.conf

exten => _111XXX,1,Dial(iax2/asterisk/${EXTEN}-1,20) << I don¹t even know if
that line is right.  My goal is to dial 11121 or 11119 and have the phone
dial 11121-1 or 11119-1.

Before I begin posted error messages, I am going to assume I have done many
things wrong.

Where should I begin?

Steve Anness