[asterisk-users] cisco phones getting SIP 401 unauthorized

Matt Gibson mattgibson.ca at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 17:35:04 CDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Jerry Geis
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 5:42 PM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] cisco phones getting SIP 401 unauthorized
Matt,

The phones are inside the LAN.

what is the md5secret? I dont know what that is? can I disable it?
Or how do I set it up?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Hm, okay. We had to use md5secret (instead of secret) in the sip.conf for
our 7970's to get them to successfully register with asterisk. However, if
you had them working before then I doubt this is the issue. You can try
anyway though,

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+sip+md5secret

We use both secret= and md5secret= with the same password in each, one
encrypted and one not encrypted - this seemed to let our 7970 register.

HTH,
Matt