[asterisk-users] AEL and swap from macros to contexts

Pavel Jezek pavel.jezek at i.cz
Tue Oct 7 06:20:01 CDT 2008

Atis Lezdins wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Pavel Jezek <pavel.jezek at i.cz> wrote:
>
>> Steve Murphy wrote:

>>> Pavel--
>>>
>>> Yes, you can ignore the warnings and go ahead and hardcoded gosub calls
>>> into your source. I didn't upgrade 1.4 to use gosub-instead-of-macro
>>> because
>>> the key element ended up being "calling gosub with arguments", which
>>> didn't
>>> make it into 1.4.
>>>
>>> Someday, when you upgrade from 1.4 to 1.6, you will have to change
>>> all your gosub's to use the argument passing feature, if you hardcode
>>> gosubs now. Or, you can backport the gosub-with-arguments feature to
>>> 1.4,
>>> and use 1.6 AEL to compile... which will give you some future
>>> portability
>>> when you do move to 1.6...
>>>
>>> Sorry to make simple things sound so complicated!
>>>
>>> murf
>>>

>> murf, thank you for clear answer,
>> currently, I'm using asterisk trunk (and 1.6 also),
>> do you plan to remove quite confusing AEL warnings, that appears, when I
>> try to hardcode Gosub with arguments into ael dialplan?
>>

> Why would you still want to hardcode them?

because I would like to move completely away from using classic macros,
because it have some limitations, as I said, variable number of
arguments passed to macro is example,
so I moving from macros to contexts that do the same functionality and
haven't limitations that macros have
and if I will have only contexts in ael dialplan I must call it with
Gosub (I can't call context using &)
PJ