[asterisk-users] How to implement Ringing through a sound card for overhead paging

Doug Lytle support at drdos.info
Mon Oct 6 09:33:35 CDT 2008

Robert Augustyn wrote:
> Hi,
> I have followed this guide
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Setting+up+paging+with+a+sound+card
>  and have paging working ok, now I need to implement 'ringing'.
> When someone calls I need the ringing to be send to overhead paging
> through the sound card.

I have recorded a sound effect, use a callfile to play the file via the
sound card.  I have a very short timeout for that extension.  I just
jump back to the beginning on the context, play the sound effect and
then ring the phone again.  Code below:

;******************************************************
;* If Press extension is dialed after 5pm, play bull
;* Horn sound effect to get pressman's attention
;******************************************************

[night_bell]

exten => 4173,1,GotoIfTime(07:45-16:59|mon-fri|*|*?press-officehours,s,1)
exten => 4173,2,System(/bin/cp /usr/local/bin/bullhorn.call
/var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/bullhorn`date +%s`.call)
exten => 4173,3,Dial(SIP/4173,15,tTkK)
exten => 4173,4,Goto(night_bell,4173,1)

<bullhorn.call>

Channel: Console/dsp