[asterisk-users] OT: text/plain

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Sun Oct 5 14:37:38 CDT 2008

Philipp Kempgen wrote:
> Andrew Kohlsmith (lists) schrieb:
>
>> On October 5, 2008 12:22:37 pm Philipp Kempgen wrote:
>>

>>> ---cut---
>>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2008-October/219538.html
>>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2008-October/219541.html
>>> ---cut---
>>>
>>> That quoted text is not very eye-friendly.
>>>
>> Konqueror also renders these as huge one-line messages; I am blaming the
>> mailing list archival software for this, as it is not being
>> sufficiently "suspicious" of the data it's processing; it should be either
>> stripping the <pre> tags or otherwise forcing them to be web-friendly, IMO.
>>

> Sure. It could choose to transform HTML to plain text itself.
>
> But let's compare it to VoIP: If the other party offers codecs A
> and B and I want A I would negociate A instead of trancoding B to
> A myself. How can I know in advance or by automated means that
> what the other party sends using codec A is hardly useful.
>
>    Philipp Kempgen

This all depends on whether or not you take a descriptive or
prescriptive approach to things.  Perhaps the codec you want isn't
actually offered. It's more an Aa, as opposed to just A, and your old
client simply can't tell the difference.

One might say that, with close to 300 million hotmail users as of
February this year, if your email client doesn't decode Hotmail emails
in a readable fashion, your email client is faulty. If you're a
programmer and can't see fit to code around what may indeed be a bug,
but is still the second most-used email service in the world, you're
either a) lazy, or b) too stubborn to be allowed to complain. The truth
is there are plenty of email clients that CAN decode Hotmail messages,
and if you choose one that can't, you can't blame anyone but yourself.

N.