[asterisk-users] How to add Callee's name into Dial command ?

Josiah Bryan jbryan at productiveconcepts.com
Fri Oct 3 09:06:20 CDT 2008

Mr Shunz wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> To make myself clear, here is what I'm trying to do : when Alice is calling
>> Bob (Alice -------> Asterisk------->Bob), I would like Bob's phone to
>> display Alice's name  (no problem, for that) but I would also like Alice's
>> phone screen to display Bob's name (instead of Bob's number)
>
> mmm ... this wasn't clear on your OP ...
> so you need to show the CALLED name on the CALLER phone ...
>
>> My SIP hardphone is capable of displaying P-Asserted-Identity in outbound calls (not just inbound) but I
>> couldn't find any way to teach Asterisk to fill this P-Asserted-Identity header :
>
> you can try with: (*** untested ***)
>
> exten => _123X, 1, SIPAddHeader(P-Asserted-Identity:
> '${CALLERID(name)' <${CALLERID(num)>)

Interesting idea - I can see that being very useful. I know on my old
SPPA-841s they would do that - but it was based on looking up the dialed
number in the internal directory (which I programmed using a perl script
in the asterisk server.) So, when I dialed 213, the name appeared that I
dialed, confirming I had the right person.

Unfortunately, I never have been able to get my Polycom SoundPoint IP
500 phones to do that.

I just tested the SIPAddHeader command given above - doesn't work with
the Polycom Soundpoint IP 500 that I tested with. (Even with the missing
'}' at the end that I fixed - still doesn't work.)

Good idea thought - anybody have any magic that might make that work?

-josiah

--
Josiah Bryan
IT Manager