[asterisk-users] Software patents (was G723 on asterisk 1.4.1)

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Wed Oct 1 17:50:44 CDT 2008

> If you would point me, i would gladly take a look at this patent list,
> for now my searches were unsuccessful.

The ITU maintains a list of IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) claims
for various technologies. Check it out:

http://www.itu.int/ipr/IPRSearch.aspx?iprtype=PS

On the left-hand side there's a search box, plus you can select G.729
(or one of the many derivatives thereof) from the "recommendations"
drop-down list. When I select "G.729" and click "Search" I get back a
list of 52 items, most of which seem to be patents that have at least
one claim related to this codec. (I see lots of references to stuff like
CS-ACELP and other super-geekish acronyms that only smart people like
Steve Underwood actually understand!:)

IANAL but it looks like a lot of people have their hands out expecting
payment for people using G.729: www.sipro.com, e.g.

Happy researching,
MC