[asterisk-users] Asterisk in VM.

Jeff Johnson jjohnson at neturallyspeaking.com
Wed Oct 1 17:31:43 CDT 2008

Its very iffy to say the least.

Jeff Johnson
Director of Operations
sip://jjohnson@neturallyspeaking.com
http://www.neturallyspeaking.com

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Hans
Witvliet
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 6:07 PM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Asterisk in VM.

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 19:05 -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
> Does anyone have any perspective on how well Asterisk performs and
> scales inside a Xen hypervisor environment?
>
> Obviously, the answer depends largely on what sort of hardware it's
> running on, whether it's in PAE mode, whether it's a newer CPU that
has
> some paravirtualisation instruction sets available to assist it, how
> much memory is allocated to each VM, and other architectural
> considerations.
>
> Any perspective would be helpful, however.

We have been doing some test.
To avoid single point of failure (as musch as possible) we had mysql,
ldap and asterisk14 and asterisk16 in separate virtual machines. No
problem what so ever. DOM-u's are easy to scale up, considering mem or
cpu.
Would suggest to have either channel-banks/ata's or PRI-boards in a
separate machine(s). never got the pci forwarding from a hypervisor to a
dom-U properly working

Hans