[asterisk-users] Asterisk - Failover System

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Oct 1 16:31:55 CDT 2008

Depends on your conditions for failure.  If you are simply looking to
get around hardware failures or other physical conditions which result
in the T1s going down, you can use a reliable piece of ISDN gateway
equipment in front of the Asterisk boxes that pushes SIP out the other
end and configure it to fail over calls to a second VoIP peer.  It
creates a single point of failure, but one which is far, far more
unlikely to fail than PC hardware.

Or, you can use a DS1-level DACS that can protection switch the T1s to
another port.

Ultimately, your failover options are limited if you have T1s physically
going into an Asterisk box with a T1 card.  Your best bet is to somehow
separate the two components;  then, you can get the proper redundancy
measures implemented on both sides in ways that are most native and
technologically appropriate, instead of coupling them in a way that
makes them difficult to divest.