[asterisk-users] Software patents (was G723 on asterisk 1.4.1)

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Oct 1 09:09:48 CDT 2008

Atis Lezdins wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:

>>> As resident of country where the file is hosted - yes we don't have
>>> software patents, they have been proposed to EU and reject few years
>>> ago. So by law - software is algorithm and can't be patented.
>>>
>>> In local laws we even are allowed to reverse-engineer software for
>>> needs of compatibility and interoperability. So, writing code for
>>> commercial codec and using it for interoperability with hardware
>>> devices (you purchased) is allowed by law.
>>>
>>> Damn, we even have a law that don't allow bittorrent trackers, as
>>> bittorrent file is considered breaking copyright law.. Ironic :p

>>> I guess because it's completely legal here, and there's a disclaimer on page:
>>> DISCLAIMER: You might have to pay royalty fees to the G.729/723.1
>>> patent holders for using their algorithm.
>>>
>>> It all depends on country and laws.
>>>

>> There are a few algorithmic speedup patents around, what can accelerate
>> codecs like G.729 and G.723.1, and which are purely software patents.
>> Most of the relevant patents are *not* software patents. Don't confuse
>> "software patent" with "something running on a computer".
>>
>> Patents applicable to speech coding are perfectly valid in the vast
>> majority of countries. Certainly in all the EU countries.
>>

> It seems that this have been discussed numerous times.
>
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-October/058136.html
>
> Does anybody have some more legal experence with this? Any courts?
> Negotiations? NDA? :p
>
> >From what i've found, there's an EU directive regarding software
> patents, but it's full of legal terms. Maybe anyone can comment?
>
> http://www.europarl.europa.eu/commonpositions/2005/pdf/c6-0058-05_en.pdf

You're back to talking about software patents again. People love to do
that, in the same spirit that schoolboys cross their fingers in the hope
it absolves them from something. Would you care to look through the
patents which the G.729 patent pool licences, and try to find any
software patents amongst them?

Regards,
Steve