[asterisk-users] CDR Desgin

Grey Man greymanvoip at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 02:06:06 CST 2008

>On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Steve Murphy <murf at digium.com> wrote:
> For the moment, let's not worry about the implementation. Let's
> get consensus on the spec first. In the scenario, where A calls B,
> B xfers A to C, C xfers A to D, or some such similar scenario,
> half the world wants a single CDR for A, from the time it started,
> to the time it hung up with D. The other half wants A->B's dial and
> bridge,
> a cdr for A & C's bridge, a CDR for A & D's bridge, and mayhaps some
> CDRs
> to describe the xfers, where B xfers A to C and C xfers A to D.
>
> My document is pointing in the former direction, and either we need to
> spec both, or pick one.

To me the obvious answer is to provide a CDR for every call leg so for
A calling B via Asterisk there would be two CDRs produced. It's far
far easier to disregard the unwanted CDRs than it is to try and
generate the missing ones and in some cases it's virtually impossible.
If it's weighed up I think people would vote to have accurate CDRs
ahead of anything else and if single legs are the best way to do that
then it's the way it should be done.

In addition with single leg CDRs it will solve the dilemna about
acommodating every possible call scenario that I know has caused you a
lot of consternation over the last 18 months.

Sure it's a change from the current situation so maybe needs to use
the standard apporach of a configuration setting to opt in initially
before becoming the default in the subsequent major release.

Regards,

Greyman.

P.S. Sorry about the duplicate post. I actually sent the email to the
list 4 times with around 8 hour spacings and I'm not sure why there
was a problem getting it through.