[asterisk-users] SendText and non-ASCII characters

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Mon Nov 24 11:48:44 CST 2008

2008/11/24 Philipp Kempgen <philipp.kempgen at amooma.de>

> Olivier schrieb:
>
> > At the moment, I'm trying to send "Unicoded" text
>
> Unicode is not an encoding. It's just a list or table of characters
> (glyphs).
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode
> Unicode is typically represented in encodings (misleadingly called
> "charsets") such as UTF-8, UTF-16 ...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-16
>
> > to a SIP phone using
> > dialplan application SendText.
> >
> > SendText("Hello World") works.
> > How can I insert letter 00E9 (from
> > http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf) which can be written
> &eacute;
> > in HTML ?
>
> Interesting. Maybe an Asterisk developer can comment on that.
> I'd try to type the character (latin small letter e with acute) in
> the text editor of your choice and either save the file in
> ISO-8859-1 encoding or in UTF-8 encoding so when viewed in a
> hexdump (hd) it has 2 bytes: C3 A9
> http://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl?start=233
>
> But I thought you were trying to avoid "non-english" characters
> because the phone doesn't display them anyway.

Obviously, the phone (Thomson st2030s) displays several latin charsets but
the media to use for that is to use SIP MESSAGE.
Thanks to your (crystal clear) explaination, I suppose I can't tailor
SendText to use UTF-8 encoding so I typed the decompositioned form (ie
"e´").
It doesn't display the way I wanted to.

If I could simply use non-ascii in dialplay functions ...

I also tried URIENCODE ...