[asterisk-users] SendImage()

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Mon Nov 24 11:34:45 CST 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Tilghman Lesher
<tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 22 November 2008 22:18:05 Rob Hillis wrote:
>> Philipp Kempgen wrote:
>> > SendImage() in 1.4:
>> >
>> > ---cut---
>> >   SendImage(filename): Sends an image on a channel.
>> > If the channel supports image transport but the image send
>> > fails, the channel will be hung up. Otherwise, the dialplan
>> > continues execution.
>> > The option string may contain the following character:
>> >     'j' -- jump to priority n+101 if the channel doesn't support image
>> > transport This application sets the following channel variable upon
>> > completion: SENDIMAGESTATUS        The status is the result of the
>> > attempt as a text string, one of OK | NOSUPPORT
>> > ---cut---
>> >
>> > in 1.6:
>> >
>> > ---cut---
>> >   SendImage(filename): Sends an image on a channel.
>> > Result of transmission will be stored in SENDIMAGESTATUS
>> > channel variable:
>> >     SUCCESS      Transmission succeeded
>> >     FAILURE      Transmission failed
>> >     UNSUPPORTED  Image transmission not supported by channel
>> > ---cut---
>> >
>> > Is there any reason to break backwards compatibility?
>> > Why is "SUCCESS" better than "OK" and "UNSUPPORTED" better than
>> > "NOSUPPORT"?
>> > IMHO there was no need to change anything except for adding
>> > the "FAILURE" return status.
>
> This is a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".  That is a
> perfect complaint, and I understand it completely.  On the other side,
> we are criticized for inconsistent behavior, inconsistent status names,
> etc.  So we've chosen to make Asterisk more consistent going forward,
> with the one-time problem of a slight change in behavior.  Current users
> see an issue either way, and future users won't see a problem at all.

Perhaps somebody from -dev team can be delegated to check naming
consistency of new features? So, whenever a feature is added (perhaps
at code review), he checks naming to match best of he's opinion. I
know that original developers might be stubborn to keep their own
names, however that leads to inconsistencies and such changes later.
So, if one person is responsible of that, even if change is
insignificant, nobody should be offended..

Regards,
Atis

--
Atis Lezdins,