[asterisk-users] RFC 3428

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Mon Nov 24 11:08:02 CST 2008

Olivier schrieb:
> 2008/11/24 Philipp Kempgen <philipp.kempgen at amooma.de>
>
>> Philipp Kempgen schrieb:

>> defines
>> >
>> > You could try to add a charset attribute like so:
>> > but it's unlikely that any phones pay attention.
>>
>> And BTW that's why RFCs shouldn't be written by people who have
>> never left their limited 7-bit ASCII world.
>

> So  "text/plain"  means anything that can be written in UTF-8 or do you
> other charsets are allowed ?

The "text/plain" MIME type basically just says "This is plain
text without any markup, processing instructions etc."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_text
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_media_type
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/
It's defined in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2046#section-4.1.3

"text/plain" does not say anything about the character encoding.
"; charset=us-ascii" is (sort of) the default if not specified
but you are free to send UTF-8-encoded plain text if declared as
"; charset=utf-8".
Of course that would require you to modify the source code of
app_sendtext.c.
But as RFC 3428 doesn't talk about charsets nobody is required
to support the charset you send.  :-/

   Philipp Kempgen

--
http://www.das-asterisk-buch.de  -  http://www.the-asterisk-book.com