[asterisk-users] SendText and non-ASCII characters

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Mon Nov 24 09:07:08 CST 2008

Olivier schrieb:

> Is is possible to "translate" non-english text into ASCII text

It is.
Unicode decomposition (NFD or NFKD) is what you're looking for.
Many programming languages can do that out of the box or there
are extensions or libraries available.

> so that SIP
> phones  would correctly display non-ASCII characters received from
> SendText() ?
> I think SIP MESSAGE (rfc3428) on which SendText() currently relies, defines
> "text/plain" Content-type but googling, I can't find a source describing
> what text/plain can or cannot be.

You could try to add a charset attribute like so:
but it's unlikely that any phones pay attention.

   Philipp Kempgen

--
http://www.das-asterisk-buch.de  -  http://www.the-asterisk-book.com
Amooma GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied  ->  http://www.amooma.de