[asterisk-users] How long will Asterisk 1.4.x supported/maintained

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 13:59:49 CST 2008

On 11/21/08, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Matt Florell <astmattf at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> just keep in mind that in
>  >> my opinion the 1.4 tree did not become usable until 1.4.18 when most
>  >> of the major bugs were finally fixed.
>

> The longer you drag out the adoption curve, the longer it will take for
>  1.6 to catch up to that state.
>
>  Alex Balashov

We tried using 1.4 many times, and posted many bugs to the tracker.
Some of those bugs were ignored because I was told that I posted too
much information. We tried using most of the 1.4 releases and we did
post our results, even going as far as posting on the dev list and in
IRC, and I was always ignored or not gotten back to. I even offered
several times to donate my time to set up a system at Digium to
reproduce these bugs on demand and still had noone would take up my
offer. I talked to several VPs at Digium in-person and even Mark and
was always referred to someone else and nothing was ever done about
it. Then after 1.4.17 was released is when bug fixing became a higher
priority and they started implementing the release-cantidate process,
and myself and many others participated in that process and 1.4.18
went through several RCs with many many bug fixes and a lot of
testing, and 1.4.18 was the first fully tested release of the 1.4
tree.

As for 1.6, we haven't had anywhere near the time we did with 1.4 to
try to get it working for us, and there is a much steeper upgrade path
from 1.4 to 1.6 than there was between 1.4 and 1.6 which causes a lot
of other small issues in testing and implementation. Hopefully in the
next month or so we will have the time to spend on this.

MATT---