[asterisk-users] How long will Asterisk 1.4.x supported/maintained

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 12:38:26 CST 2008

On 11/21/08, Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> On Friday 21 November 2008 09:42:12 Matt Florell wrote:
>  > On 11/20/08, Steve Totaro <stotaro at totarotechnologies.com> wrote:
>
> > >  You also have
>  > >  people like Matt Florell who have continued to add functionality to
>  > >  1.2 but since Digium won't take them, or the dev doesn't want to sign
>  > >  over their first born, they are hard to come by but certainly out
>  > >  there.
>  >

> > We really just maintain a set of patches for 1.2 (just updated
>  > waitforsilence a couple weeks ago in fact) and we regularly install
>  > 1.2.30.2 in call center setups. It is rock solid and extremely proven
>  > in high-call-volume situations.
>  >
>  > We have started installing 1.4.21.2 on some systems that are not high
>  > load as well (1.4.22 has some strange issues with it we have noticed)
>  > because we do have clients requesting to use 1.4 for some of the nicer
>  > PBX functionality that it has as well as better SIP support.
>  >
>  > We test 1.6 periodically and we are very much looking forward to some
>  > of the great new features of it, but it crashes very quickly when
>  > trying to use it in call center situations. just keep in mind that in
>  > my opinion the 1.4 tree did not become usable until 1.4.18 when most
>  > of the major bugs were finally fixed.
>

> Are you reporting these crashes in 1.6?  I'd like to know where they are, so
>  we can track them down and fix them.

By the time we get around to testing for any length of time there is
always another version released(including RCs and betas), we haven't
tested on the most recent 1.6 release and we don't really have the
resources to do intense debugging and bug reporting on 1.6 anytime in
the near future. We have tested two of the original beta releases as
well as the first 1.6.0.1 RC and they all had crash problems. We have
also had issues adjusting to using Dahdi on 1.6 since it is manditory
and you cannot use zaptel as you can with 1.4.

I am hoping to set up a system over the Holidays that I will only put
1.6 on that I will be able to do bug testing on, but from our
experience it is not easy to move from 1.2/1.4 over to 1.6 and back
again in a timely manner because of all of the major changes made to
Asterisk between 1.4 and 1.6.

MATT---