[asterisk-users] How long will Asterisk 1.4.x supported/maintained

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Nov 20 12:32:15 CST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 08:25:54AM +0100, Olivier wrote:

0>> > > There is no statement, because we haven't even discussed when
the EOL for
>> > the
>> >
>> > For the average non-techie user who does not want to compile
>> > themselves that may sound funny (if not scary).
>> >
>> > When Debian Lenny (featuring Asterisk 1.4) is finally going to be
>> > released that version might not even be supported any more.
>>

>> I think to a large extend, Asterisk is not to be considered as binary
>> distributed at all, as many hardware it supports is not directly managed by
>> kernel team.
>
> Interesting consideration. Debian Etch and RHEL5 are based on kernel
> 2.6.18, but support quite a few hardware devices not included in that
> kernel.
>
> If this issue bothers you, please help test the alternative timing
> mechanism support now included in trunk.
>
> --
>               Tzafrir Cohen
> icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
> +972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
> http://www.xorcom.com  iax:guest at local.xorcom.com/tzafrir

I still compile and install 1.2 for the most part, for call centers
and large systems.

The few 1.4 installs that I have done have been for "medium" sized
PBXs, say 50-70 phones/users and they have been trouble free for the
most part.  Safe_asterisk may make some troubles transparent.

I am not really sure what 1.4 has over 1.2 for the average PBX installation.

Then you have the OpenPBX guys who forked 1.2, I know they have added
functionality to 1.2, but the following puts me off.  Perhaps
vaporware, perhaps not, it all relies on the devs.  You also have
people like Matt Florell who have continued to add functionality to
1.2 but since Digium won't take them, or the dev doesn't want to sign
over their first born, they are hard to come by but certainly out
there.

1.4 may follow the same path, being forked.

1.6 is not on my radar.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro