[asterisk-users] Using MAC or extension number as SIP identifier

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Thu Nov 20 10:14:19 CST 2008

It will auto-complete if you hit tab, just like the shell.  But I
would recommend against it.  I can't really think of a good reason to
do it.  'sip show peer 268' I can remember to see that status of
extension 268 when somebody calls and says "I can't dial 268".
Whereas 'sip show peer 00147...wtf was his MAC address again?', I have
to lookup the extension somewhere and find the MAC address.

Any reason you want to use the MAC address?  If it is just for easy
provisioning, I just put a MAC address field in the realtime SIP table
and use a php script to take the phone's MAC address and feed it the
login information it needs.

Daniel