[asterisk-users] Load balancing Asterisk.

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Thu Nov 20 09:39:16 CST 2008

Alex Balashov wrote:
> I was about to say, I'm sure F5 can do it... but...
>
>  > price was over 6 figures
>
> Why??!
>
> It's spending money on these types of things when they are unnecessary
> that is the undoing of every struggling VoIP provider I watch, in the
> misguided belief that only will half a million dollars get you
> "enterprise strength."  That was the conventional wisdom about Linux ten
> years ago too.  Who's saying that now?  Ditto.

F5 has ALWAYS been overpriced.

Incidentally, anyone who wants to know, F5 is a unix-based box, just
like the others. Last we used the F5s, they were all running a slightly
modified BSDI. And only slightly modified in packaging.

As for the current F5 SIP load balancer, we tried it a few years back
and it was a dismal failure. It wanted to do cookie-based SIP load
balancing and only worked with certain SIP proxies.

N.