[asterisk-users] Load balancing Asterisk.

Nitzan Kon nk3569 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 09:28:59 CST 2008

N,

SIP-aware LBs do exist - but way way out of my price range.

Alex,

Remember we are an Asterisk-based provider. I'm not going
to drop enough money on a load balancer to go bankrupt. ;) That's
exactly why I'm wondering if it's possible to do this with a
DUMB load balancer. i.e. one that would cost about the same as
building another Linux box for OpenSIPS.

I don't need a million concurrent connections. I'd be perfectly
happy with a fraction of that. Not looking to replace AT&T here,
just looking for something simple that will work reliably. :)

My concerns with OpenSIPS:

1. It's a software based solution, which means higher chance
of software-related failure, and higher chance of failure due
to problems with the Linux box hosting it.
2. Overkill to install and maintain (if we can get a simpler
solution)
3. Incoming calls - I admit complete ignorance. I don't know
how OpenSIPS handles incoming calls, but for those to arrive
at the user reliably they must arrive from the same IP address
the user is registered to. Otherwise their broadband router's
NAT firewall will just block the connection. How does OpenSIPS
handle this? (does it handle this??)

Thanks!

--
Nitzan Kon, CEO