[asterisk-users] Load balancing Asterisk.

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Thu Nov 20 09:11:38 CST 2008

Unless the LB is SIP-aware, and can maintain a SIP session, I don't see
how it would work. As the SIP command stream sends discrete commands,
without some sort of basic level of session awareness, there's no
guarantee over a reasonable-length call that the INVITE and BYE would
even get sent to the same Asterisk box. If there are on-hold messages or
transfers occurring, you add even more possibility of error into the
mix.  Now... you could do some sort of VERY long session timeout, but
overall, that's a hack that's going to drop your concurrent connection
count faster than using a smaller box would.

I don't know of any functioning, SIP-aware load balancers at the moment.
Doesn't mean they don't exist. I just can't think of any off the top of
my head.

N.