[asterisk-users] Load balancing Asterisk.

Grygoriy Dobrovolskyy megahohol at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 07:59:17 CST 2008

2008/11/20 Nitzan Kon <nk3569 at yahoo.com>

> Hello!
>
> We're looking for a solution to reliably load balance our
> Asterisk boxes. So far we've been using a hodge-podge of
> directing different services to different boxes/IPs, but
> eventually I'd like to consolidate things so we can present
> a single IP address to the outside world.
>
> My question is - how do we go about doing that? I've read
> a lot of things like load-balancing via DUNDi or OpenSER,
> but it seems to me like these approaches just add to the
> list of possible failures. In other words I'd like to avoid
> software solutions.
>
> Is it possible to just put Asterisk behind a load balancer?
> I imagine most of them are optimized for web traffic rather
> than UDP voice packets. Does that matter?
>
> Would any load balancer do - or only specific models will
> work? my guess is any model will work, but some of them may
> not be able to handle the load.
>
> Any recommended models?
>
> I know there are some fancy LBs out there that can actually
> load balance based on the SIP session rather than something
> like IP, but I'm afraid to even look at the price tag. I'm
> more than fine with balancing by user IP address instead -
> if that works. :)
>
> Would appreciate any comments or ideas.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Nitzan Kon, CEO
> Future Nine Corporation
> www.future-nine.com

2 openser servers with 3 ip adresses (1 virtual) + heartbeat to ensure the
failover + watchdog to ensure if opensips/kamalio/openser crashes a nice
failover & reboot, it is working stable here (dispatching to 10 servers +
owners DID dispatch to their respective servers)

join #opensips on freenode if you need more info.