[asterisk-users] question about connecting with Mobile Base Station

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 23:03:38 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 22:30, mark morreny <markmorreny at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to connect Asterisk with a mobile base station to handle call
> switching?  What kind of protocol will I need to use to convert to sip?
>
> Any pointer or info will be greatly appreciated.

There are various devices. PCI GSM card, GSM to Ethernet, or the most
basic is GSM to analog, then you connect it to asterisk with e.g. X100
card or SPA3000.

Either the PCI or Ethernet devices should work very well -- since the
call from the GSM network continues to be digital. An analog adapter
will have a slower call setup time, can not support SMS or data and
might have echo issues and by definition of a digital-to-analog and
subsequent analog-to-digital conversion the quality of the call will
be worse (but probably not noticeable).

Here is one example: http://www.junghanns.net/en/GSM-PCI_produkt.html