[asterisk-users] Use the NEW ulaw/alaw codecs (slower, but cleaner)

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Mon Nov 17 16:18:33 CST 2008

> In fact, the amount of time it takes to fetch memory from a cache miss
> can easily ruin the single element lookup performance in a look up
> table.

That's a good observation I hadn't considered.  No, none of the CPUs I work with cache anything other than the next few instructions.  But, like you say, that isn't true of just about any CPU Asterisk is likely to be run on.  It used to be that code optimization was fairly straightforward.  But between caches and pipelines and multiple execution units, etc. It is becoming a very complex science of its own, and as Benny stated, often very CPU (or even main board) dependent.

I guess the bottom line here was the comment about 1.4 X 0 is 0.  These two codecs don't contribute significantly to CPU utilization any way they are used.

Wilton