[asterisk-users] Looking for a good lightweight Linux softPhone

zoachien at securax.org zoachien at securax.org
Fri Nov 14 12:03:28 CST 2008

Hello,

I'm the person responsable for the zoiper roadmap, comments inline

<snip>
> This all started because Zoiper really annoyed me - they keep sending me
> beta versions of their software (which is nice, thanks you), and they keep
> on compiling it for ubuntu or some other distribution of linux I don't use
> and dynamically link it with libraries I don't have. I emailled them
> months ago about these issues - that it won't work with the current Debian
> Stable/Etch disty, and after several weeks they tell me they're not going
> to support it.
We are definately going to support it, i know it takes a bit longer than
normal, because we are insanely busy with some huge projects, but it's
definately coming !
> It's really pissed me off because idefisk was small, clean
> and light-weight and ran under all my systems. Now they tell me zoiper is
> going to have video and who knows what else in it. I feel it's bloated out
> of all proportion, just like Ekiga.

Even with video and all the other functionality its still going to be
small, and light weight, the size will increase with a few hundred kb only.
> So yes, I could compile up asterisk for my workstation, my laptop and who
> knows what else, but I don't want to! I used idefisk for a long time, then
> they turned it into zoiper, so I struggled with that, but it was never the
> same. There were sound compatability issues, and now Linux distribution
> issues - they apear to compile it under some bleeding-edge Ubuntu distro
> and the binary won't run under Debian stable.

I made the mistake of asking the dev team to make it for ubuntu although
im a big debian fan myself. I thought it would work on most of the
desktop based distros that typically have newer libs.
But i did not expect it not to work on debian, the actual work to make
it run on debian again is not that much, we just need a little time to
install another build environment.
My goal is for it to run on even more platforms than ever before. (more
news on that in the next week).