[asterisk-users] Why Nat=yes Nat=no Option?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed Nov 12 16:57:54 CST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com>wrote:

> Steve Totaro wrote:
>
> > While not taking the time to look, and if memory serves me correctly,
> > LAN devices appear on the correct ports even with nat=yes.  I may be
> > wrong....  I will have to double check this when I have a moment.
>
> That is not my understanding from the code.

I believe that if you are speaking of code and Asterisk's implementation of
the SIP RFC it is already very borked in many many ways.  I speak from what
I see in userspace, real-world, although, as I said, I am going from memory
and could be wrong.

> Also, I am curious - what is the definition of "LAN device" as you are
> using it here?  Is it a network with 1) an RFC1918 address and 2) a
> network on which the system running Asterisk has a physical interface
> binding?  If so, what about other routed subnets also on a LAN?

I define a LAN based on layer 2 and more recently layer 3 (layer 3 aware
switches) of the OSI reference model.  Call me old school but I got my CCNA
in the nineties.

"If so, what about other routed subnets also on a LAN?", sorry, I do not
understand what you are asking......

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro